The Arutch monastery complex is situated at the outside part of the rock in the western foot of the mountain Aragatz (Aragatzotn district). Here preserved are the ruins of the ancient fortifications (IIc .B.C.). At the village cemetery there are ruins of the basilica church, dated during Vc. along with several interesting gravestones. In the 5th century Arutch was a winter station for the royal army and the Armenian governor Grigor Mamikonyan(661-682),who made it his throne-chair.

The Arutch temple (St.Grigor church) is a remarkable monument of Armenian architecture. By the dictate of Ghevond, Hovhannes Draskhanakerttsi and Stepanos Taronetsi, it was built by Grigor Mamikonyan in the middle of VII century. From inside the temple was covered with frescos dated during VIIc. (it is now mostly damaged), which were representing the Resurrection scene. At the vault of main altar (approx. 7m.) there is an image of Jesus, with a parchment in his left hand. Under the pedestal the name of the painter is scribed as Stepanos. It is also mentioned in the printed sources about the palace, constructed once again by Grigor Mamikonyan, which is situated at the south-eastern part of the temple. The palace has its rediscovery during 1941-1951, (period of excavation). This remarkable monument of the early mid-century architecture consists of two separate buildings, one of which has columns and which reminds us of its details and form of scheme consisting in the Catholicos’s palace in Dvin. The second building is located to the east of the first one. There are also remnants of the bronze century’s tombs, the old fortress and caravan-house preserved till today in Arutch.

Share |
Туры в Армению
Photos of Armenia
Tourism and tours
in Armenia
Words, chords and mp3 of Armenian songs
Exchange Rates of Armenian Dram (AMD)
Contacts | Tours