Vayots Dzor
X c.

Gndevank is located on the left bank of Arpa River, nearby Gndevaz Village.

In Xth century princess of Syunik Sofia founded a monastery for the hermits of the valley. In charge was assigned priest Sargis and the architect was painter Eghishe. The monastery was named after hermit Supan Gntuni.

St. Hakob church was built in 931-936 years. The building is made from well surfaced basalt and has a cross domed construction. Eghishe adorned some frescoes inside, from which, a part of the Christ’s picture has remained on the wall of the sanctuary. There are symbols of four evangelists drawn inside the dome.

Princess Sofia celebrated the end of the construction and left a sign on the western wall. "Vayots Dzor was a ring without a stone; I built this and as a precious stone put on it".

In 999 Abbot Christopher built the western ledge of the church. Along the northern wall of the ledge are two square rooms. The western room was a library.

In 1008 for irrigation of the monastery lands was built a channel 22km long. In 1604 Persian Shah Abbas destructed Gndevank.

In 1691 abbot Petros vardapet reconstructed the church and the ledge, surrounded the monastery with defensive walls and towers. Some living and economic rooms were attached to the walls. Probably in that period was done the fresco of the Mother of God on the wall of the northern sacristy. It is one of the masterpieces of Armenian late medieval art.

There are tombstones and khachkars of X-XVI centuries in the yard of Gndevank. Many old signs have been left on the walls. The dining room is also notable in the southern part of the complex, which is a big hall with that kind of spaces and sewer.

Gndevank is surrounded by wonderful nature of the valley, where the monastery takes its special place.

Share |
Туры в Армению
Photos of Armenia
Tourism and tours
in Armenia
Words, chords and mp3 of Armenian songs
Exchange Rates of Armenian Dram (AMD)
Contacts | Tours